Thursday 12 March 2009

Back at the Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarzinexile
This is kind of related to Arekka's thread, but since her friend's problem seems to have been resolved, I figured I'd move it over to here.I was thinking about different reasons for withdrawing from the world, and different types of withdrawal from the world, stuff like that. And what I noticed from my past experiences in life is that the times I do withdraw and become more reclusive tend to be very transitional times in the way I think and behave. Here I'm talking about conscious withdrawal, instead of those times when I just don't happen to be socializing. I can understand how it would be upsetting to those around me, but there's times when I feel like I need it psychologically. I can think of three month stetches where I deliberately refused to initiate conversations with anyone, because I had a lot I needed to sort out in my brain.I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience, where they felt like they needed to withdraw from socializing as completely as possible in order to get their bearings.Though I can understand how it would be worrisome to those around me, I'm not entirely convinced that all withdrawals from society are completely unhealthy. Thoughts?

Reply:

When the mist comes down to the watering hole, the Eagle (INTP) cannot see what is going on. This is called the Fog. Sometimes the Turtle (INXP) in its shell is better equipped to function. The Dragon (INFP) withdraws to its barrow and only goes out on crusades. The problem is (and Diogenes was not that bright) that you cannot withdraw from the world and earn your crust or your desires. Time passes by.
__________________

1 comment:

Perseus said...

Sometimes the Eagle can deduce what is going on in the Fog by thinking. Alas, he cannot see and he certainly cannot function in Eagle mode in foggy climates.